About the Bike Build and Preparation
Immediately following the success at the 2019 Philip Island Classic, the build and preparation of the bikes for 2020 got underway. Based on rider feedback, many changes were made to improve chassis set up and rider mobility and Larry Cook's talents were engaged again to take the sound engine platform from 2019 to a new level in 2020.
The goal is to engineer the most reliable bikes while keeping them as close to identical in build as possible. For 2020, we have five (5) CMR/FJs and one TZ750 for the International Challenge. These Yamahas have proven to be the best possible fit for Mojo Yamaha and should offer the most competitive advantage in our quest to win the 2020 Philip Island Classic International Challenge.
- Introducing Larry Cook
- Introducing Denis Curtis
- 2018 Proving Year, What happened in 2018
- Chassis and Engine Build
- Bike Build
Introducing Larry Cook
Larry Cook of Larry Cook Racing has been involved in the race industry for over 35 years. Larry started his race career running the IDBA, NMRA and Dragbike race circuits competing with Vance & Hines, John Meyers, Dave Schultz and the other early pioneers of motorcycle drag racing. He has raced, worked as a Crew Chief, coached riders and developed race teams throughout his career. Most of his work has been designing and building high performance race engines for various race applications. These include Pro Stock Bikes, Pro Mod Bikes, Funny Bikes, Drag Bikes, Road Race Bikes, Dwarf and Legend cars, Sand Rails and Sand Quads. He also worked with Kerker on their Bonneville and Road Race projects in the past.
Larry has been fortunate enough to have set many records and won several championships throughout his years of engine design and building. He is currently the NWDB (Northwest Dragbike) Pro Open champion, running over 200 mph in 6 seconds. While Larry himself has held several championships and records, most of the records and championships were achieved by other race teams running Larry Cook Racing engines.
Just a few of Larry Cook Racing engine and team support accomplishments include:
- NHRA 2018 Division 6 ET Motorcycle championship
- NHRA 2017 Division 6 ET Motorcycle championship
- NWDB 2018 Pro Mod / Pro Open championship
- NWDB 2018 Pro ET championship
- NWDB 2018 Quick 8 championship
- NWDB Several championships & records over the last 10 years in multiple classes
- International Island Classic, Philllip Island 2016 /2017 / 2018 – built engines for Dave Crussell, Joe Signs, Eirick Nielsen & Jon Munns
- NHRA / NMRA event winner & record holder & West Coast champion for several years
- NWSCA Sand Drag bike, #3 in the nation
- NWSCA Pro Comp D 10 year National Record Holder
- NHRA Worked with Star Racing Team supporting 3X Pro Stock Bike champion John Meyers & 3X Pro Stock Bike champion Angelle Sampey.
- NHRA Crew Chief for Rocklin HD Pro Stock Bike
- AHDRA Crew Chief for Pro Mod Bike #1 & #2 in the nation & national record holder
- PHRA Dwarf Cars – LCR engines won 16 championships with 13 being consecutive years